Friday, October 14, 2016

The Time Has Come

For several years now I have dreamed of building a workbench to the specifications found in the five volume woodworking masterpiece L'Art Du Menuisier written by the french cabinetmaker and author Andre Roubo in the 18th century. Roubo's description of the bench is quite specific leaving little to the imagination. It is a simple design but stout and efficient in every way. The bench top is 5” thick, 20” wide, 6' long and is made of one solid slab of hardwood such as Elm, or Oak. The length of the legs vary according to how tall or short the craftsman using the bench is. Like the top, the legs are stout measuring as thick as 6” X 6”. Each leg attaches to the top using both a through tenon and a dovetail which is flush with the edge of the top. Wedges are driven into slight gaps in the tenon ensuring that the joint cannot come apart once made up.

The time has come at last for me to build my own version of the Roubo bench. I was not at all sure I could find the raw material to make such a bench at first. After all you don't find many slabs of hardwood with the above mentioned dimensions at the local home improvement center do you. Then while scouring Craigslist for suppliers I stumbled across Mark Sundermeier of American Arborist Wood Products in Omaha Nebraska. Mark was not just helpful he was genuinely interested in my project and agreed to cut me a custom slab of Ash specific to my task. If you have a need for high end wood products of any kind do yourself a favor and contact the American Arborist Wood Products by clicking here

It will be mid November before I have the money to pay for my slab of Ash and take it home. Until then, I will blog the details of my workflow for the bench as well as some of the tools I will be using for the build. In the mean time leave a comment if you like or ask me questions.


Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment